In a service-based business, there is always a limit of scalability. You can only work so many hours and so many weddings, and the most common way to scale your business is to bring on more team members.
In this week’s episode of the This Week in Weddings podcast, we’re talking to photographer Katie Doherty, who in addition to her photography business has created a successful online, product-based business, La Rousse Shoppe. With her online business, Katie literally makes money while she sleeps, and she’s sharing her story of passive income with us this week’s episode.
About our guest:
Katie Doherty is a whimsical redheaded photographer and entrepreneur, who has built a six figure e-commerce company from the ground up in just two years. La Rousse Shoppe sells boutique packaging products, such as glass photo boxes and USB drives, to professional photographers. It all started with Katie’s love of creating beautiful things, fueled by a desire for freedom and the ability to work from anywhere. Her favorite aspects of running La Rousse Shoppe are designing products, branding & packaging, and seeing all of the wonderful ways photographers are sharing their styled print boxes on social media.
Katie and her business partner Phil are working on further automating the business by building their team and outsourcing daily tasks like shipping and fulfilling orders. The goal is to build systems and automation so that Katie and Phil can focus on expanding their product line, and, of course, enjoying a life of travel and leisure.
In this episode, listeners will hear about:
- Katie’s background as a photographer in the wedding industry
- How Katie came up with an idea for a product to sell
- The steps Katie took to bring her product idea from inception to product sample to market
- How bringing on a business partner helped Katie launch and grow her business
- The first thing our guest decided to outsource when building her online business
- The technology Katie uses to sell her products online
- How Katie’s online business has changed her life for the better
- What items Katie now outsources in order to have a truly passive income
Want to connect with Katie?