Featuring Bernadette Smith, founder and president of 14 Stories and the Gay Wedding Institute, this episode of This Week in Weddings dives into the world of same-sex weddings and tips wedding entrepreneurs need to know about working with LGBT couples.
About our guest:
Bernadette Smith’s life work is to ensure that same-sex couples, no matter where they live, have the most positive, supportive experience while planning their wedding. In addition to being a wedding planner, Bernadette is building a global tribe of wedding professionals who are sensitive, trained and ready. She is founder and president of 14 Stories and the Gay Wedding Institute and is widely considered the nation’s leading same-sex wedding expert.
In 2004, when marriage equality first came to Massachusetts, Bernadette envisioned a wedding production company for engaged same-sex couples looking to navigate a traditional wedding industry. Since 2004, she and her team have produced hundreds of gay and lesbian weddings, working with couples from nearly every U.S. states and around the world.
Bernadette’s expertise has been sought after by the Today Show, the New York Times, the Washington Post, CNN, Travel and Leisure and National Public Radio, among others. Bernadette is award-winning author of three books on same-sex weddings and regularly speaks about LGBT weddings around North America.
In this episode, listeners will hear:
- The basics on LGBT terminology
- Why it’s important for wedding vendors to identify themselves as LGBT friendly to couples
- How to go about letting couples know you are LGBT friendly, even if you don’t have previous same-sex wedding photos in your portfolio
- The similarities and differences between straight and gay wedding planning experiences
- About additional training available for the wedding industry about working with same-sex couples
- Free download: 5 Things You Can Do Today on Social Media to Attract More LGBT Clients