The Black Lives Matter movement certainly is not new. But the recent deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor have finally brought racial injustice, prejudice and systematic racism to the forefront of America discussions. While the This Week In Weddings podcast is generally about the business of weddings, the awareness to inequality is everybody’s business. Join us as we discuss microaggressions toward the black community that you may not have even been aware of.
About our guest:
What Amber Knowles loves most about weddings is the immense love and happiness present on the day. There really is nothing that compares to having all of your family and friends present from around the world in one place, ready to celebrate with you.
As the founder of The Amber Studio, Amber’s artistic vision is to create joyful imagery of the diverse couples she works with. Her goal is to capture the real you, the real way you smile, the real way you laugh, and the real way you love. It’s a bigger task than simply documenting your event, her goal is to be your historian. And, she makes it her mission to capture those happy, meaningful, and real moments just as they are.
You can usually find Amber at a yoga class or with a glass of wine in her hand. She is a Cali girl at heart, but will always consider herself a New Yorker after living in the city for ten years. So far she is loving her Texas adventure with her husband, Ed and her cuddly pup, Miles.
In this episode, listeners will hear about:
- Amber’s background in the wedding industry
- Amber, Lance and Kimberly’s perspectives on what people and businesses are doing wrong when showcasing their support of the Black Lives Matter movement
- Why statements like “You don’t act black” and “I don’t see color” are offensive to members of the black community
- The group’s thoughts about being “on brand” when it comes to speaking out about racial inequality
- How small, incremental changes are better than sudden, sweeping adjustments
- The importance of talking to your children about race
- How you can be a strong ally to the black community
- White Fragility book by Robin DiAngelo
Want to connect with Amber?
- Online: https://www.theamberstudio.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theamberstudio
- Instagram: @theamberstudio
SUPPORT THE PODCAST!
Have you gotten value from This Week In Weddings? If so, it’s time to pay it forward! Your contribution of as little as 10-cents a day will help us offset our costs, like file storage, web hosting, and editing. Plus, a larger donation gets you perks, like access to a private Facebook group to discuss each week’s episode!