We’ve all heard at some point that it’s important to get 8 hours of sleep each night. But for busy entrepreneurs, it’s certainly not uncommon to trim back on sleep when things get busy and you need more hours in your day. In this week’s episode of the This Week In Weddings podcast, we’re talking to a a neurologist and sleep expert about the importance of sleep for our bodies and minds and some tips for getting more quality sleep over time.
About our guest:
Dubbed “The Sleep Whisperer” by Arianna Huffington, Dr. Winter has been involved in the field of sleep medicine for twenty five years. A fully board certified neurologist and double board certified sleep specialist, Dr. Winter has been helping individuals sleep better through his private clinic, group consultations, work with professional athletes, and dynamic media presence. His first book, The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep Is Broken and How to Fix It has received high praise both in the United States and internationally as a fresh and effective approach to a growing problem.
Dr. Winter is board-certified by both the American Board of Sleep Medicine and the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He is separately board-certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (under the American Board of Medical Specialties) as a sleep medicine subspecialist. He is a member in good standing of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine the Sleep Research Society, and the Virginia Academy of Sleep Medicine.
In this episode, listeners will hear about:
- Dr. Winter’s background in neurology and how he became interested in the study of sleep
- How sleep affects every aspect of our lives – from creativity and problem solving to even appearance
- The characteristics that one typically associates with being a “good” sleeper
- Best practices for those in the wedding industry who often work late into the evening for weddings and have a forced delay of sleep
- The effects of alcohol and sleep
- Physiological differences between those that are considered a morning person vs. a night owl
- Tips for getting a better night sleep, including a discussion on weighted blankets, white noise machines, and ideal room temperatures
- Electronics and sleep
- Dr. Winter’s book The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep Is Broken and How to Fix it
SUPPORT THE PODCAST!
Have you gotten value from This Week In Weddings? If so, it’s time to pay it forward! Your contribution of as little as 10-cents a day will help us offset our costs, like file storage, web hosting, and editing. Plus, a larger donation gets you perks, like access to a private Facebook group to discuss each week’s episode!